How To Make Okonomiyaki
The famous Japanese pancake, this is Itoh-san’s Okonomiyaki recipe.
My friend of over 15 years – Itoh-san – is an Okonomiyaki cooking master. I love his distinctive cooking style. In fact, he has raised the level of okonomiyaki to such heights that I could never settle for the okonomiyaki you find in the market, which I consider mediocre.
Last week was simply delightful as he cooked delicious Okonomiyaki at home. I have captured all the details for you to try out yourself. Oh yes! He has upped his cooking game over these years – it’s better than it’s ever been!
Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki recipe
This recipe serves one
- Okonomiyaki powder mix (flour and stuff) x 2 tbsp
- Potato (Imaimo) x ¼ cup
- Bamboo (Take) x ¼ cup
- Thinly sliced beef or meat of your choice x 4 medium sized slices
- Cabbage x 1 cup
- Noodles x ¼ cup
- Mix 2 eggs, the okonomiyaki Mix, and cabbage in a bowl
- Fry the beef
- Add a small amount of cooked noodles shaped in a small circle
- Add the batter on top
- Cook for 2.5 – 3 minutes on each side on low – medium heat.
- Then drizzle the mayonnaise, Okonomiyaki sauce and slather it all on the cooked okonomiyaki.
- Optional step: To increase flavor you can add seaweed and fish flakes.
- Serve hot and eat a lot!